Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the colon and why is a healthy colon so important?
The colon is the last five feet of the digestive tract or large intestines. It is a hollow tube like organ made up of muscle structure that moves digestive food and waste along by a wavelike motion known as peristalsis. The primary function of the colon is to absorb water, electrolytes and some vitamins, as well as, preparing and storing fecal waste prior to elimination. The colon, along with the skin, kidneys and lungs, is a major organ of elimination of toxins and waste. If bowel movements are not regular, the waste products and toxins accumulate and can compromise our health. Good health is as much a function of our elimination status as the quality of the food we eat. Consider that over 400 million dollars are spent annually on laxatives in the United States. Every year 140,000 Americans are diagnosed as having colon-rectal cancer. Of this population, 44% will die as a result of the disease. At least two million Americans suffer from colitis, ileitis, diverticulitis and 100,000 Americans have a colostomy each year. Periodic cleansing of the colon could prevent stagnation and minimize the exposure to potential cancer causing agents to the colon wall.
2. What is colon hydrotherapy? Colon hydrotherapy is referred to as colon irrigation, colonics, colon therapy or high enemas. Regardless of the name, they all refer to the use of water for internal cleansing of the colon (large intestines), without the use of drugs or chemicals.
3. What exactly does colon hydrotherapy accomplish? Colon hydrotherapy is a process of removing fecal material from the colon walls and diluting the bacteria and toxic concentrations in the large intestines (colon). The therapeutic effects are: improved muscle tone, which facilitates peristaltic action and enhances the absorption of nutrients, while minimizing the absorption of toxic waste material.
4. How does a person know if they need colon irrigation? Almost anyone can benefit from some internal cleansing. Everyday our bodies are exposed to toxins and pollutants in the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat. Our modern life style has taken its toll on our digestive and elimination organs. Refined processed, low fiber foods, animal fats, a lack of exercise and ever increasing levels of stress all contribute to our current gastro-intestinal health crisis. When normal bi-products and toxins can be eliminated from the body there is no problem. But when the toxins build-up faster than they can be eliminated, or when the elimination systems are under active, these toxins accumulate and create the necessary preconditions for disease in the body.
5. What is auto-intoxification? When we do not eliminate our waste, toxins back up in our bodies and can create auto-intoxification or self-poisoning. This occurs when the colon walls become encrusted with fecal matter that has not been eliminated. This hampers the absorption of vital nutrients. Worse yet, old accumulated matter in the colon provides a breeding ground for unhealthy bacteria. Blood capillaries lining the colon wall begin to absorb toxins into the blood stream, which feeds all of our bodily cells, tissues and organs. This lowers overall performance of our bodily functions and sets the stage for serious health problems.
6. What are the common symptoms of intestinal toxicity? Fatigue; constipation; excess weight; stomach bloat; gas; bad breath; coated tongue; body odor; skin problem; lower back pain; depression; poor memory; weakened immune system and feeling of lethargy. If any of these symptoms sound familiar, colon hydrotherapy and detoxification may be of great benefit.
7. Will laxatives or enemas accomplish the same results as colon hydrotherapy? Laxatives are considered to be an irritant and stimulant to the body. It simply draws water from the body and produces a thin watery substance that clears only the most recently digested waste from the colon and leaves behind the impacted waste on the colon walls. Enemas are fine to clean out the lower part of the rectum and colon, but miss about four feet of colon.
8. How is colon hydrotherapy different? Colon hydrotherapy is a gentle infusion of water in and out of the colon, reaching all four to five feet, allowing impacted waste to be removed. With an experienced colon therapist, additional waste can be eliminated by massaging the abdomen gently and addressing different acupressure points and by instructing the client with breathing techniques.
9. What can I expect from colon hydrotherapy? Colon hydrotherapy is not a cure, but a valuable procedure used to assist the body with the reversal of a wide variety of health conditions, known to stem from improper diet and elimination habits. Colon hydrotherapy should be considered as a preventive and health enhancement alternative rather than a treatment for a disease.
10. What is constipation? The medical dictionary defines this condition as difficult or infrequent passage of feces...or it can refer to the hardness of the stool. Those who agree with the natural approaches believe a state of constipation can also exist when the bowel movement appears normal in spite of accumulations of body waste along the line of the colon. So what is normal? If you go to the bathroom once a day or once every two or three days...it may be considered normal...but it is not healthy. Consider for instance, that babies eliminate shortly after each meal. Their new digestive systems have not had the time to develop problems caused by improper diets, environmental toxins and stress. If you are eating three meals a day and are eliminating only once, it is prudent to ask yourself where the other two meals are hiding.
11. What are the therapeutic indications for colon hydrotherapy? Overall health care maintenance; constipation; diarrhea; mild/moderate hemorrhoids; intestinal detoxification; bowel training for para/quadriplegics; chronic fatigue syndrome; candida iliacus; following pregnancy; preparation for bowel test; after barium enemas; irritable bowel syndromes; during weight loss/fasting programs; part of drug rehabilitation program.
12. What are the indications under a physicians guidance or recommendation? Acute fecal impaction; colitis; parasite infestation; ulcerative colitis; Chron's disease; hyper/hypothermia; colostomy cleansing; severe hemorrhoids; any acute debilitating medical condition.
13. Are there any absolute contra-indications for colon therapy? Yes. Cancer of the colon or G.I. tract; diverticulitis, acute abdominal pain, recent history of G.I. bleeding, recent heart attack, recent cardio vascular condition, uncontrolled hypertension, general debilitation, vascular aneurysm and possibly patient with a history of seizures, epilepsy or psychoses.
14. Will colon hydrotherapy effect the bacteria that resides in the colon? Research has determined that there are more than thirty-six different species of bacteria that resides in the colon. Of these bacteria, more than twenty are formed in the stool of flesh eaters, all of which produce very highly toxic products. It is a well known fact that good bacteria, the bacteria that is necessary for proper digestion, has difficulty surviving when the colon is encrusted with old putrefied waste. At this time, there is no published data on the effects of colon irrigation removing the indigenous intestinal microflora. The body is constantly manufacturing healthy bacteria flora.
15. Will the electrolyte balance in my body be changed by receiving colon irrigation? In the 1989 study, "Effects of Colon Hydrotherapy on Serum Electrolytes", reported in the Journal of Natural Medicine in 1990, no patient experienced any clinically significant symptoms or disturbances. When the body is properly nourished with good quality organic foods containing sodium, potassium and magnesium, the electrolyte level of the colon is replenished as part of the diet.
16. How long does it take to receive a colon irrigation? The sessions vary according to the individual needs and response. But it usually lasts from 45 minutes to an hour.
Return to Home Colonics Kits For Sale home page
Questions? (Questions or comments about this kit or web site.)